In 2015, high school seniors and college freshman and sophomores can enter. There are four scholarships. Financial amounts to be determined will be in the range of $100 – $250, and winners are awarded one free day of attendance at the Willamette Writers Conference.Submit to the Kate Herzog Writing Scholarship
To apply for a 2015 scholarship you will need:
1. A cover letter that includes a paragraph about the student’s goals as a writer.
2. Original, unpublished writing sample of less than 1000 words, typed, double-spaced. The sample should be titled, but should not include any information about the author. Writing published in school publications is eligible. Any topic. Fiction and poetry also accepted.
3. Letter of recommendation from an instructor in the current academic year.
In previous years, student entries have ranged about one third fiction, one third essays, one third memoirs, and some poetry. Letters of recommendation have generally run one to two short paragraphs. Long letters are not necessary.
Dates to Remember:
- Application Deadline April 27th, 2015 (post mark deadline; must be in the mail by the 27th)
- Finalists Will Be Announced June 30, 2015
- Scholarships Will Be Awarded August 8th, 2015
Finalists will be responsible for their own travel and accommodation expenses if they attend the conference.
For further information, please contact our Writing Awards and Contests Director, Blythe Ayne, at awards[at]willamettewriters[dot]com or Office Manager Bill Johnson at office[at]willamettewriters[dot]com or 503-305-6729.